Company & Title: Australian Nurserymen’s Fruit Improvement Company (ANFIC) Ltd; Chief Executive Officer
Office location: North Lakes, Queensland, Australia
Education & Degree Information:
Bachelor of Applied Science (Horticultural Technology) from the Queensland Agricultural College (now UQ – Gatton) and a PhD from the University of Queensland (UQ).
Primary area of expertise:
Temperate, sub-tropical and tropical fruit crop production, stonefruit breeding and physiology and the development of new fruit varieties for commercialisation.
Brief Work History:
Gavin Porter started at ANFIC in 2002 as the General Manager before his current role as Chief Executive Officer began in 2006.
His multiple roles included:
- Corporate management of 2 Companies,
- Development of new fruit varieties for release through ‘Coordinated Marketing Groups’ with commercial orchardists including new seedless mandarins, seedless table grape, apple, apricot and pear varieties,
- Company business and office management,
- Importation of new fruit varieties through Plant Quarantine to ensure Biosecurity compliance with high risk fruit species,
- Evaluation of new fruit varieties including seedless mandarins, seedless table grapes, apricots, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, apples and pears,
- Intellectual Property (IP) management (Contracts, trademarks, ‘Coordinated Marketing’ programs),
- Management of 1500+ fruit varieties in Australia including bananas and pineapples, citrus through to apples and pears,
- Coordination of fruit variety management for 12 major wholesale fruit tree nurseries around Australia and
- International coordination of Australian IP and fruit varieties.
While ANFIC has been a member of AIGN since its inception, Gavin started in a new role as CEO of AIGN in 2010.
Prior to joining ANFIC in 2002, Gavin was a Lecturer in Fruit Production at the University of Queensland (Gatton campus) for 17 years. During his role as a Lecturer, he also managed a 50ha self-funded Horticulture Research and Teaching Unit at the University of Queensland (including a 3ha orchard), travelled regularly to various countries for collaborative research projects and education training (USA, Mexico, Vietnam, Indonesia and West Samoa) and supervised postgraduate students.
A Farm Management role in North Queensland for 2 years preceded his appointment at UQ-Gatton.
His practical, ‘hands on’ approach is evident in the commercial development of new plant varieties through his supportive rapport with all members of the horticulture supply chain.
Dr. Gavin W Porter
Unit 3/2 Wills Street,
North Lakes, Qld, 4509, Australia
Po Box 811 Kallangur, Qld, 4503, Australia
+61-419 639 509